Advertisement

Wawrinka considering return for famous Roland Garros shorts

football22 May 2026 16:53| © AFP
Share
article image
Stan Wawrinka © Gallo Images

Stan Wawrinka says he is considering giving the famous pair of shorts he wore en route to the 2015 Roland Garros title a final wear at his farewell tournament, but he will have to ask to borrow them back from the on-site museum.

The 41-year-old is preparing for his 21st and last appearance at the Roland Garros, which gets under way on Sunday.

The striking pair of shorts he wore for the second of his three Grand Slam triumphs 11 years ago could yet also make a final bow on Court Philippe Chatrier.

Advertisement

"I'll ask the museum. I'm not sure. Maybe we can wash them before," said Wawrinka on Friday when asked about the iconic fashion item.

"But I didn't think about this. I'll think about it between now and Monday."

Wawrinka is enjoying a farewell season on the ATP Tour before retirement and will be hoping to repeat his fairytale run to the third round at his last Australian Open earlier this year.

"I'm very happy about what I did over this long tennis career, and I'm impatient to put my racquet down, as well, to be able to enjoy other things, but I still have a few months to play on the tour," he added.

The Swiss, playing on a wildcard, faces a tough first-round task, up against in-form French No 1 Arthur Fils, the 17th seed.

Advertisement